Neuroscience is an interdisciplinary center with three core research areas: 1) aging, 2) child development and behavior, and 3) animal models. Our team of researchers includes experimental and clinical psychologists, neuropsychologists, biologists, bioengineers, and immunologists.
The main objective of Neuroscience is to establish an interdisciplinary program of research to explore how molecular and cellular changes translate into cognition and behaviors, and vice versa. We also lead national cohort studies, and we are involved in the design and evaluation of preventive interventions to solve local public health issues such as violence and crime.
We work in close collaboration with INDICASAT’s Clinical Research and Translational Medicine Centre, taking part in the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of human populations in collaboration with neuropsychologists, neurologists, public health experts, and clinical psychologists in our country.
Neuroscience currently has two active research groups: 1) the Panama Aging Research Initiative (PARI) which leads a cohort study of older adults in Panama with a particular focus on Alzheimer’s disease and age-related cognitive impairment, and 2) a Behavior and Child Development Lab (BeChild Lab) studying violence, parenting, as well as neurodevelopmental disorders such as autism.
- Jagannatha Rao, Ph.D.
- Gabrielle Britton, Ph.D.Basic and clinical research in cognition, learning and memory, neurodegenerative diseases, and mood disorders (depression and anxiety).
- Anilena Mejia, MSc, PhDHer research so far has evaluated parenting programs and family-based interventions in Panama and their impact on violence prevention. She is more broadly interested in understanding and preventing violence (e.g.
- Gerald Moncayo, DPhil. Dipl. Ing.Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) is one of the most aggressive human cancers. Over 90 immune molecules (including TCR, BCR and Fc receptors) have specific ITAMs and ITAM-bearing viral proteins can act as oncogenes.
- Cecilia Montiel-Nava, MSc, PhD.I am a child psychologist with specialties in diagnosis, social and communication development and behavioral intervention in autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder).
- Rolando A. Gittens, PhD, MScSimulated neural networks, biological signal processing, bioengineering, biomaterials,tissue engineering, surface analysis, orthopedic implants, dental implants, osseointegration of titanium, cell differentiation, stem cells, bone.
- Carol Enith Vásquez Saldaña, B.S.The main focus of my PhD thesis is the study of the interaction of aging and stress using animal models of fear (FC) and safety conditioning (SC) on rats. Specifically, we are targeting the temporal expression changes of the protein Brain derived
- Alcibiades E. Villarreal D. BSc, Ph.D student in BiotechnologyMy graduate (PhD) research consists of a prospective study to identify risk factors associated with cognitive function and dementia, including the identification of disease biomarkers, in a sample of Panamanian adults aged 65 years and older.